The Suzanne Swain Dance Academy offers all students:
- First Class training in the Ballet Australia Ltd Syllabus
- Classical Ballet and Examinations
- Smarties Combo Ballet/Jazz/Tap 3 to 5 years
- Hip Hop
- Musical Theatre
- Professional Stage Performances and Production
- Annual Concert at the Arts Centre Gold Coast
The Suzanne Swain Academy teachers are experienced professional teachers and dancers.
I found my love of dance at the tender age of three years whilst dancing around the room with my Father. I lived for classical dance and was and am totally dedicated to the art of teaching this wonderful dance genre. I started formal studies under the tuition of dancer Sir Kenneth
Gillespie who had come from the renowned Russian-Style School of Edouard Borovansky which was established in Melbourne. Sir Kenneth Gillespie later founded the Tasmanian Ballet Company.
I was also lucky enough to dance with one of my classmates, the celebrated dancer and choreographer, Graeme Murphy. Graeme went on later to become a dancer with the Australian Ballet and then Artistic Director of the highly respected Sydney Dance Company. Graeme and I danced together in many classics including the “Nutcracker” where I danced the part of Clara to Graeme’s Toy Soldier.
I have also performed in several classical Ballets including “Coppelia” and in the mythical sequences of “Sylvia”
I started teaching my first class while working at the Barbara Walker School of Dancing in Sydney where I became a teacher and member of the British Ballet Organisation (BBO) and then later transferred to Ballet Australia Limited (BAL)
I strongly believe that when teaching a student Ballet there is a discipline and a physical development that installs confidence in a Ballet student. Ballet also develops a control of emotion, delivers a sense of achievement and creates a strong sense of self-worth and value, which the student will always carry through life.
I started dancing at age 4 with Suzanne Whiteman at Alstonville Dance Studio – NSW where I attended classes in all styles and annual Examinations with the R.A.D., C.D.A., C.S.T.D. and the B.A.L.
I launched into teaching full time at age 17 at Alstonville Dance Studio and was accepted into a local dance company called ‘Imprint’ which represented Australia in the U.S.A. for ‘Dance Excellence’ and I have not stopped dancing and teaching since then.
I have choreographed work for eisteddfods, concerts and for NSW schools for – Dance Festivals and Rock Eisteddfods including a NSW North Coast school receiving over $5,000 in prize money.
I hold the Advanced Jazz Teachers Certificate with the C.D.A – (Contemporary Dance Australasia) and have been a teacher at many workshops.
In 2010 I moved to QLD to teach Jazz, Tap, Hip Hop, Contemporary, Ballet & Musical Theatre
I began my dance training in the Hunter Valley, NSW where I studied a variety of styles including classical, jazz, tap, national character, modern and contemporary.
My passion for dance and performing led me into a successful professional career both on national and
international stages, performing with artists such as Anthony Callea, Wynter Gordon and Luciana, as well as on Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, for the Newcastle Knights and at Jupiter’s Casino on the Gold Coast.
I have also been teaching for over 10 years with experience ranging from professional level classes to working with children and adults looking for fun and fitness. This passion for the dance industry drives me to keep up with current choreography and the latest styles and I am excited about passing my extensive knowledge on to aspiring young dancers.
Upon being accepted into the Suzanne Swain Dance Academy we require that all students make a commitment to the following Code of Conduct.
- Students are required to be neat and tidy with the correct leotard, stockings and appropriate shoes.
- All students will be correctly dressed before entering the classroom.
- Ballet students are to wear their hair in a bun at all times.
- Jazz and Tap students must have their hair off the face and bound back.
- All dancewear must be named and kept in named dance bags when not in use.
Courtesy & Manners:
- Students are to show respect to teachers, helpers and fellow students at all times.
- All students arriving late for class must present themselves to the teacher before taking their place in class.
- All teachers are to be addressed as Miss Suzanne, Miss Cassie or Miss Alyssa
- Concentration and dedication is demanded in all classes.
- Private conversations during class will not be tolerated; it is disturbing to teachers and the other students and disrupts the natural flow of the class.
- No eating or drinking in class. Water is permissible and essential.
- For safety reasons no jewelry or bracelets are to be worn.
- For the privacy of other students No video cameras, photography or mobile phones will be allowed during the class or in dressing rooms.
- Parents and friends are permitted to observe class at the end of the first term
- Bad behavior from students or parents will not be tolerated and students will be formally asked to leave without the right to refund or credit.
- Students should be at least 10 minutes early for their class so they can change and warm-up before class.
Delivery and Pick-up of Students:
- For security reasons all Parents are to deliver and pick-up students from the main door entry of the halls, all students should remain inside the halls until picked up.
- Parents are requested to wait outside the hall when collecting their children and at all other times unless specifically invited.
- If for any reason parents are late the student must wait inside the hall.
- Parents are requested to wait outside the hall for their children.
- An open day will be provided at the end of term one for parents and friends.
The Suzanne Swain Dance Academy Studio is located at the Paradise Point Community Centre, Community Lane, Paradise Point, Queensland, 4216
PHONE: 07 55 453040
MOBILE: 0409 517 809
POSTAL ADDRESS: P.O. BOX 907 Paradise Point, Qld 4216
The Suzanne Swain Dance Academy offers students the opportunity to sit the Ballet Australia Ltd (B.A.L) ballet syllabus dance examinations.
The examinations will be held in the third (3rd) term and students will need to attend two (2) ballet classes per week to be eligible. Examinations are not compulsory but it is recommended to maintain a high standard of technique. I encourage all students to undertake their ballet examinations.
Ballet Australia Ltd (B.A.L) Summer Schools are available to those students who wish to advance their skills and technique.
SATURDAY 31ST JANUARY-10AM TO 12 NOON PARADISE POINT COMMUNITY CENTRE
CONCERT REHEARSALS 7th & 21st November at Paradise Point (ALL DAY)
CONCERT DAY REHEARSAL 7.30am November 23rd Arts Centre Gold Coast
CONCERT 6.00pm November 23rd Arts Centre Gold Coast
10.00 am – 12.00 pm 28th November 2015
Public Holidays Date:
QUEENS BIRTHDAY MONDAY 8TH JUNE
LABOUR DAY MONDAY 5TH OCTOBER
School Term 2015:
20th and 21st January 2015
MONDAY 4th FEBRUARY TO THURSDAY 2ND APRIL - 9 WEEKS
MONDAY 20TH APRIL TO SATURDAY 27TH JUNE – 10 WEEKS
MONDAY 13TH JULY TO SATURDAY 19TH SEPTEMBER – 10 WEEKS
TUESDAY 8TH OCTOBER TO SATURDAY 22ND NOVEMBER 7 WEEKS